Note: never make yeast dough in a metal bowl or with metal utensils. It retards the yeast growth.
- 1 pk active dry yeast
- 1/2 c warm water and 1 c water - seperated (105-115 degree, no more)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 T light oil, plus extra to coat rising bowl.
- Dissolve sugar in 1/2 c water and add yeast while warm.
- Set Aside for 5 minutes. It will "grow".
- Sift flour and salt together into large bowl.
- Make a well in center of the dry mixture and pour the additional water, oil, and yeast mixture into the well.
- Stir until it begins to form a ball, then turn onto a clean light;y floured surface.
- Knead for 4-5 minuted turning repeatedly.
- Lightly oil the dough and inside of a clean glass bowl.
- Put dough ball inside the bowl,cover with a warm towel, and set in a warm place until doubled. About an hour.
- You can use the dough at this point, but for a more developed texture and flavor, punch it down, reshape into a ball, and let it rise again.
- You can refrigerate or freeze the dough at this point.
- Divide into 1-3 balls depending on the size of your pizza and the thickness you want the crust.
- Sprinkle pizza sheets with corn meal for a little crunch and roll out your dough ontothe pan. "Pock" and pre-bake for 5-7 minutes. Add your choice of pre-cooked toppings and cheese and bake again until cheese is bubbly and browned.