- Left over meats or whatever you have in freezer.. any meat works.
- Favorite fresh, canned, or frozen veggies
- brown gravy mix (or poultry gravy mix if using poultry)
- Cut meat into bite size pieces.
- Brown in with a little oil.
- If you are using HARD fresh veggies, add them now: potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc
- Add water until just covered and simmer until tender, adding water as necessary.
- Whisk together 1 packet brown gravy mix into 1/2-1 cup of cold water (how saucy do you want it?) and add to pot.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Put into baking vessel (pie crust or pan)
- Pour POT PIE BREAD CRUST (recipe below) evenly over the top of the filling and bake at 13x9 = 425 for 30-35 minutes or pie plate 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Adding a 1/2 recipe and an original so you have what you need depending on your pan size.
Half recipe/One pie shell -- (Full recipe/13x9 pan)
- 1/4 c + 2T melted butter -- (calls for 3/4 c butter)
- 3/4 c milk -- (calls for 1 1/2 c milk)
- Whisk above together briskly.. will look odd because you're adding cold to warm
- Combine in small bowl
- 3/4 c + 2T Flour -- (calls for 1 3/4 flour)
- 1/2 t salt -- (calls for 1 t salt)
- 3/4 t pepper -- (calls for 1 1/2 t pepper)
- 1 1/2 t baking POWDER -- (calls for 3t baking soda)
- Whisk milk/butter mixture in.. will be almost corn bread consistency or thinner
- Pour evenly over the top of the filling and bake at 13x9 = 425 for 30-35 minutes or pie plate = 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.